ALICE

Who is ALICE?

ALICE is an acronym that stands for Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed.   ALICE represents the households with income above the Federal Poverty Level but below the basic cost of living. The ALICE Report provides current research-based data that quantifies who in Wisconsin is living on the edge of financial insecurity. United Way will use the ALICE study which contains state, county and municipal level data to raise awareness in order to create lasting changes implemented to improve lives and strengthen local communities.

ALICE is striving for financial stability but faces complex barriers. Solutions will take a multi-faceted approach from private and public sectors, as well as the community as a whole. United Ways throughout Wisconsin recognize we need to go beyond singular or temporary fixes to create lasting change through a focus on the building blocks of a quality life: education, income, and health. In the end, helping ALICE will benefit us all. We all have an interest in improving conditions for ALICE – their everyday struggles reach beyond personal trials to impact the wider community.

 

Why ALICE Matters

Why is this important? ALICE workers are essential to the fabric of our society. ALICE works in jobs that are integral to our communities, from child care educators and home health aides to mechanics – all workers we rely on every day.

The future success of our communities is directly tied to the financial stability of ALICE households. When ALICE suffers and is forced to make difficult choices, we all face serious consequences.

For example:
• ALICE children are not ready for school, creating additional demands on the education system.
• ALICE households cannot afford preventative healthcare, and are therefore more likely to place future stress on the healthcare system.
• Emergencies may cause ALICE families transportation barriers, income loss, educational disruptions, and health setbacks which negatviely impacts the community’s stability, taxes, and economic growth.

 

ALICE In Manitowoc County

The study found that 9% of Manitowoc County residents are in poverty and 32% are considered ALICE. Combined, 41% of people in Manitowoc County are struggling to afford basic needs.

View a one-page summary of Manitowoc County here.

View the complete state-wide report here.

 

Making Tough Choices

Put yourself in the shoes of an ALICE family and learn about the hardships they encounter every day through the ALICE Simulator – Making Tough Choices here.